Happy last day of 2014!!
We’ve gone a bit pudding mad this Christmas, and this is my latest creation in my attempt to eat my weight in sugar over the holidays.
I found this tray bake in the original Hummingbird Bakery book, where they make a layer of brownie, a layer of cheesecake, and a layer of raspberry cream. Having decided that I probably couldn’t handle any more cream, I switched out the raspberry cream for some blitzed up raspberries, which also looked a little more festive.
Here’s the recipe:
- 200g dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- 200g unsalted butter
- 250g icing sugar
- 3 eggs
- 110g plain flour
- 400g cream cheese
- 150g icing sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 punnet of raspberries (around 160g)
For the brownie:
- Preheat the oven to 170°C (325°F) Gas 3.
- Put the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water (do not let the base of the bowl touch the water). Leave until melted and smooth.
- Put the butter and sugar in a freestanding electric mixer with a paddle attachment and beat until all the ingredients are well incorporated.
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well and scraping any unmixed ingredients from the side of the bowl with a rubber spatula after each addition.
- Gradually beat in the flour, mixing well after each addition, then turn the mixer up to high speed and beat for a little longer until you get a smooth mixture.
- Slowly pour in the melted chocolate and mix thoroughly. Pour into the prepared baking tray and smooth over with a palette knife.
For the cheesecake:
- Put the cream cheese, sugar and vanilla extract in a freestanding electric mixer with a paddle attachment and beat on slow speed until smooth and thick. Add one egg at a time, while still mixing. Scrape any unmixed ingredients from the side of the bowl with a rubber spatula after each addition. The mixture should be very smooth and creamy.
- The mixer can be turned up to a higher speed at the end to make the mix a little lighter and fluffier, but be careful not to overmix, otherwise the cheese will split. Spoon on top of the brownie and smooth over with a palette knife.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30–40 minutes, or until the cheesecake is firm to the touch and light golden around the edges. The centre should still be pale. Leave to cool completely, then cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Blitz up the raspberries in a blender. Pour over the brownie cheesecake and spread evenly. Refrigerate for another half hour.
Recipe adapted from Hummingbird Bakery